Tips & tools
On the Way
You can fit active transportation (AT) into many parts of your day. Any trip that you would normally take by car is an opportunity for AT.
Here are some tips to make AT work for you:
- Look for places you go that are within 1 - 2 kilometres for walking or 5 - 10 kilometres for cycling.
- Start small. Aim for 1 or 2 trips a week.
- Think like someone who walks or rides. Try Google Maps or the City of Winnipeg Bike Map to find walking and bike friendly routes.
- Try a trip out. Plan your first trip on the weekend or a day off to get an idea how long it will take and to become comfortable with your route.
- If at first you don't succeed, try again. The first time we try anything different it can feel a bit awkward, so try it out at least 3 times. This gives you a chance to change your route and find out what works and what doesn't.